Notifications
Clear all

Some information of a olr  

Page 2 / 3

Bryngwynt
(@bryngwynt)
Famed Member Registered
07/11/2016 8:55 pm  

Thanks Chris,will catch up with him later in the week.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 10:30 am  

I see a big loss in the Derby Arona OLR, 138 birds home from 1579 birds, on first hot spot from 60 miles.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/02/2017 10:38 am  

they started with 3200 birds

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 12:40 pm  

That's less than 5% of the original entries home from 60mls. Makes you think doesn't it. They aren't all bad birds that have been lost. Pigeons just can't be managed properly in these numbers. No individual attention, kept like battery hens, only there for one purpose, MONEY!!!

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/02/2017 1:05 pm  

not sure about the money andy a lot like me can't race so this is the only fun we have

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 1:19 pm  

I do understand and appreciate what you are saying George and can see why you do it. But how can it be a true test on your pigeons that you have bred and raised when so few get a fair chance to prove themselves.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/02/2017 1:23 pm  

I have given lots of birds away I do know some went into there stock loft others say nothing this year had a chap asking if he could buy some same way bred as he had last year as they were club winners he could not tell me when they won just a few weeks ago that's what pisses me off sure other members have found the same with gifted birds they have out

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 2:08 pm  

That's no good to you either George and I can see that. You're obviously giving these birds out to be tested. Without feed back you don't know whether your breeding is going the right way. That's not fair for you or others to not get any feed back, even if not good, you need to know either way.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 4:38 pm  

230 birds back at loft now. still a big loss from 60 miles.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
18/02/2017 8:17 pm  

I have given lots of birds away I do know some went into there stock loft others say nothing this year had a chap asking if he could buy some same way bred as he had last year as they were club winners he could not tell me when they won just a few weeks ago that's what pisses me off sure other members have found the same with gifted birds they have out

I can certainly see the appeal of one loft racing for those who for whatever reason can't or choose not to race themselves. Unfortunately races and losses like that prove nothing at all, I do agree with Andy that you would have to question the whole set up for a disaster like that, are the lofts overcrowded, how good is the management and how good are the convoyers. You must have to be very careful when selecting which ones to enter George !!
If breeding is what you enjoy or is all you have space and time for I can see it must be frustrating for you George when you give birds out on good will to prove and improve your breeding only to get little or no feed back, you would think it is common decency to inform you of their progress.
Good to hear you bred some winners anyways George, even if it was a little late, well done fella.
Atvb

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 8:29 pm  

Myself have entered 2 olr in the last two years, i have to say birds going missing before training starts, and we are talking large numbers. The last olr there were 700 birds, and what i was told happened, they were not vaccinated until 5 weeks after they entered the loft. I think this was a major problem for the birds health. Stress is one of the worse things in a olr, birds coming in at different ages, i do not think there is enough staff to look after this amount of birds. There is so much to do in a normal racing loft, so i dont think the birds in olr have a good % of chance in showing their true ability.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/02/2017 9:37 pm  

don't think they were trained either then loft manager was away for 9 days then again 3 days

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
18/02/2017 10:45 pm  

don't think they were trained either then loft manager was away for 9 days then again 3 days

Doesn't sound very well organised to me. I don't know much about Olr racing, it does sound like they need quite a number of experienced staff. I appreciate that racing broken pigeons isn't easy but if the birds are young enough and the management is good there shouldn't be a problem. A 60 mile race is only a training toss really, at Worthing our first race was 95mls. Are they able to dispose of any birds that don't measure up or get ill and are all birds sent to every race whatever ?? I would imagine that there are a number of inadequate birds entered, it only takes one rotten apple to ruin a crop. I still maintain that even in normal club and fed racing that their are far too many bad or poorly prepared pigeons sent which results in too many losses.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/02/2017 10:49 pm  

heard of some welsh fanciers have there birds loft flying before sending them to the olr and done well with them

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/02/2017 11:08 pm  

We all know the work needed to look after the few birds we have especially, to get to know them all as individuals. I just think that these lofts should be run to get the birds to achieve their true potential and don't think that any can kept in the numbers that they are kept.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3