Notifications
Clear all

Modern day pigeons

Page 1 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What are members thoughts on the modern day pigeon. Are they better or faster than the pigeons of old? Were the old families worse than today’s? 

I know what my thoughts are and will say what I think, but would like to know other members thoughts are first. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I am certain the pigeons I have now are better than the ones I had in New Zealand 20 odd years ago. 

Like anything, selective breeding has improved them. They are certainly smarter. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Mine are plodders, bottom of sheet most weeks do I care not one bit for me it is the taking part, so cannot really answer the question Andy sorry

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

I am certain the pigeons I have now are better than the ones I had in New Zealand 20 odd years ago. 

Like anything, selective breeding has improved them. They are certainly smarter. 

In what way do you think their smarter Murray? I’m not saying their not just interested in different point of views. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

These things seem to come out of the egg broken into the loft. 

I recall, many years ago, standing out in the cold, rattling a tin and calling youngsters in, while they sat on the roof with a blank look on their faces. Night would be falling as they dropped in. {blue}:displeased:  

The ones I have now know to come when called from day one, pretty much. They are not trained to the tin, they are fully fed morning and night. They don't have to be kept hungry to control them, they just have a healthy appetite. 

They are intelligent and inquisitive. They are quiet in the loft and are a pleasure to have around. 

I do believe the breed has improved in the last 20 years or so. The ones I have are certainly better than the pigeons I had back then. 

Regards

Murray.

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Good point Murray. That could also be partly your calming influence in and around the loft. I find I’m much more patient these days and yes the birds are much calmer. I have birds sat on me most of the time I’m in the loft and when scraping out and moving around have to watch I don’t stand on any lol. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

@andy123, you might have something there too. I am a bit older and a bit calmer, I guess.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

I can remember pigeons of yesteryear going back 70 years ,the cocks had bigger  heads as well as the hens ,they could Fly allday & get up & come latter the next day ,they could fly head winds ,if attracted by the falcon would stay together in a tight mob ,out climb over the falcon & work there way out of trouble ,they may have been a little touchy on the home end ,but were more reliable over the distance , yes they have got faster know ,but I still loved the older breeds , 

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

Also less sickness 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @killer

Also less sickness 

I think a lot of the sickness in modern day pigeons have been self inflicted by the use of all the medications that are used these days. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

Yes you maybe right on the medication side ,but by flying less distances the modern day pigeons have less resistance & Less amunity to it also ,by racing further the birds need better concertution & any faults are lost ,I remember the time the UK birds flew 500 miles as babies ,so they were the best of the best that got through ,building a better strain of birds than you have today ,food for thought ?cheers 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @killer

Also less sickness 

True that, killer.

Mind you, I don't think much has changed there in the last few decades. People are still using too many drugs to keep their pigeons flying. I haven't used anything other than a wormer for 10 years. The pigeons have to be naturally healthy. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

My grandad kepted a Tommy hook , irodine ,needle & thread that’s about it in the medicine chest ,hard work plenty of feed & no overcrowding ,now you have to be a scientist to race . . .?lol 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I think it’s always been a case that some fanciers have looked for that “secret in a bottle” that will give them winners. I think this has been heightened over the last few years with modern technology with the constant marketing from companies on social media saying that their products will give you success. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

@andy123, that is so true. 

I know that this sounds unkind, because it is, but unlike the older fanciers like killer in Australia, and a lot of the regular posters in the UK, a lot of people these days are looking for a 'secret in a bottle', which means they can put put minimal effort in, and still be successful. 

When I was a kid, the same thing was called 'bloody laziness'. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2