Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Members thoughts please

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

YoungsterI have eggs from my race team due to hatch over the weekend. I like to let each pair rear at least one youngster before the season starts. I threw the eggs away from the pairs I didn’t want to keep and then last weekend I moved a few eggs around so that all pairs were sitting at least one egg that I wanted to keep. 

Now the question I am asking is that I have one pair that I wanted to keep the eggs from but they have been rather up and down with their sitting. When let out they both go out and although they do sit it’s a bit half hearted. I don’t know why as the hen is a 4 year old and the cock is a 2 year old. So both eggs are under another pair at present. I want them to feed a youngster. So do I wait until the eggs hatch to put one back under them or do you think it’s better to move an egg back before or when it starts chipping? Do you think them feeling the eggs chipping helps with the formation of the milk? 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

I think lol they have to feel the egg chipping or they can't produce soft food it's what I was told and found out when ybs were being fed just water not soft food this happen when I moved chipping eggs just before they hatched if this makes sense

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @andy123

YoungsterI have eggs from my race team due to hatch over the weekend. I like to let each pair rear at least one youngster before the season starts. I threw the eggs away from the pairs I didn’t want to keep and then last weekend I moved a few eggs around so that all pairs were sitting at least one egg that I wanted to keep. 

Now the question I am asking is that I have one pair that I wanted to keep the eggs from but they have been rather up and down with their sitting. When let out they both go out and although they do sit it’s a bit half hearted. I don’t know why as the hen is a 4 year old and the cock is a 2 year old. So both eggs are under another pair at present. I want them to feed a youngster. So do I wait until the eggs hatch to put one back under them or do you think it’s better to move an egg back before or when it starts chipping? Do you think them feeling the eggs chipping helps with the formation of the milk? 

I don’t know what happened at the start. YoungsterI lol. Won’t let me edit it. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rainbow

I think lol they have to feel the egg chipping or they can't produce soft food it's what I was told and found out when ybs were being fed just water not soft food this happen when I moved chipping eggs just before they hatched if this makes sense

That’s my thinking too George. Although I’m not sure how much they will care for the youngster. I may just leave their eggs where they are and let this pair go down again. I’m not too worried as I’m not going to race the hen anyway. The cock flew Poitiers last year and could go to Pau this year. 

ReplyQuote
Bryngwynt
(@bryngwynt)
Famed Member Registered

I agree they need to feel the egg chipping to form milk. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did try moving one of the eggs back under the hen a couple of days before it was due to hatch but the next day the egg was cold again. So I put it back under the pair that had been sitting it and were sitting the other egg thinking there was not much hope of it hatching. But 2 days ago I was surprised to find 2 babies in the nest. 

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

my small yb died had another pair noticed a yb coming out of the shell so left alone yesterday checked have one yb about 4 days old the other  yb could not throw the shell of and died been hit and mis this year putting it down to repairing to many pairs at the same time  most have now gone back down on eggs another question when ybs are on hard food can they be moved to a nest were the yb is about 4 -5  days older have 2 nests with single ybs would like them together  

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

my small yb died had another pair noticed a yb coming out of the shell so left alone yesterday checked have one yb about 4 days old the other  yb could not throw the shell of and died been hit and mis this year putting it down to repairing to many pairs at the same time  most have now gone back down on eggs another question when ybs are on hard food can they be moved to a nest were the yb is about 4 -5  days older have 2 nests with single ybs would like them together  

I had that with one youngster. Struggled to get out of the egg and was dead next morning. Also had one chipping that never hatched. I think it’s just a week baby that probably wouldn’t have been any good anyway. 

As long as there isn’t much difference in size between the 2 youngsters you should be ok to move them to be double reared. If a big difference the smaller one could struggle. 

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

@andy123 think I will leave it till Monday

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

That's a shame George, hope the next round are ok, are you breeding any for Keele this year

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @bryngwynt

I agree they need to feel the egg chipping to form milk. 

I also agree, they usually start producing around 3 days before hatching, I have put eggs under a pair that did not have anything not expecting them to hatch but both did 7 days after putting under them and got fed milk

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote