Notifications
Clear all

Are these cocks or hens  

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
02/06/2020 6:06 pm  

I know its not easy sexing by head pictures but wondered what everyones ones thoughts are on the five ybs i have left. I know i have the cock left of busters but would be interested as to what sort of mix i have. There might be a couple of pics of the same bird as they didn't hold their head right when being held. I think the one with a tick eye is a cock.

DSC 0040
DSC 0045
DSC 0040(1)
DSC 0049
DSC 0041
DSC 0037
DSC 0031
DSC 0046
DSC 0039

killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered
02/06/2020 6:13 pm  

I see your problem ,give them time the cocks will start crowing ,cheers 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
02/06/2020 7:50 pm  

I have 7 ybs been told to-day they all look like hens  did only one egg hatch in most of  your nests

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
02/06/2020 7:53 pm  
Posted by: @rainbow

I have 7 ybs been told to-day they all look like hens  did only one egg hatch in most of  your nests

only one pair has laid, these were latebreds i got from buster, the other 5 are ybs so no eggs yet. i guess i will have to wait until they mature a bit and then watch for the cocks showing off.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
02/06/2020 7:56 pm  

the one with the tic eye if tic on one eye a hen if tic on each eye a cock   so they say

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 8:34 pm  
Posted by: @rainbow

the one with the tic eye if tic on one eye a hen if tic on each eye a cock   so they say

Mate I would discount that I have cocks and hens with 2 tics

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 8:35 pm  

Paul one sex has a round head whilst the other is flat the tic eye looks like a cock to me but I could be wrong

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
02/06/2020 8:43 pm  

sorry buster I've always found it true

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
02/06/2020 9:22 pm  

Yep the tic eye one looks a cock, the others look like hens.

Been wrong before though....

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 9:34 pm  

It is very difficult to tell with youngsters. The only real way is observation. As Buster says the cocks do tend to have a flatter head and the hens more rounded but this doesn’t always show until more mature. I along with probably everyone else on here that have raced youngsters have raced them as one sex as youngsters only to find they are the opposite. If I have a doubt I always race them as hens as youngsters. I would rather put a young cock in with young hens than young hens in a basket of cocks. I had 3 last year that I had down as hens that have turned out to be cocks. Just watch them in and around the loft. Many will soon tell you if they are cocks. 

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
02/06/2020 10:27 pm  

They all look like hens to me, It doesn't really matter as they are young birds and you can leave them all together, When there ready the cocks will show you that they are cocks. Untill then don't worry about there sex just enjoy them.  

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
02/06/2020 10:32 pm  

As others have said it is very difficult to tell at that age what sex they are but they will show you soon enough. It does get a bit easier once you get know your family of birds as certain traits and colours will often become prominent in one sex or the other. They do look a nice batch of youngsters though mate.

I think the first one is a cock, the second a hen, the light Chequer a hen, dark chequer a cock and the tic eyed Chequer I'd say is a hen. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
02/06/2020 11:58 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

It is very difficult to tell with youngsters. The only real way is observation. As Buster says the cocks do tend to have a flatter head and the hens more rounded but this doesn’t always show until more mature. I along with probably everyone else on here that have raced youngsters have raced them as one sex as youngsters only to find they are the opposite. If I have a doubt I always race them as hens as youngsters. I would rather put a young cock in with young hens than young hens in a basket of cocks. I had 3 last year that I had down as hens that have turned out to be cocks. Just watch them in and around the loft. Many will soon tell you if they are cocks. 

Yep, one of the best widow cocks I had was called 'Molly'.

Need I say more?  Grinning  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/06/2020 7:06 pm  
Posted by: @muzza
Posted by: @andy123

Yep, one of the best widow cocks I had was called 'Molly'.

Need I say more?  Grinning  

Laughing Out Loud Laugh Laughing Out Loud  

ReplyQuote