Youngsters ranging

Notifications
Clear all

Youngsters ranging

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I usually let my birds out twice a day letting old and young out together. They are let out just after 7 in the morning and cleaned out and got back in at around 8.40 before opening the shop at 9. Then at around 4pm I let them all out again. I shut the shop at 5pm and have a cup of tea before cleaning out again and getting them back in at about 6pm. They are flying well and go high but are only just stating to range a bit but not for long and always back before the time to get them in.

I don’t let my birds out on a Saturday morning because of race birds being around and going through. But I usually let them out at the normal time in the afternoon. The weather was very overcast and dull when I let them out this afternoon. I shut the shop at 5 and on coming upstairs and looking up the garden there were just the old birds and a few youngsters, mainly the younger ones. I went to clean out and get them in at the usual time but noticed that a lot were still missing. On getting them in all the old birds were there but only 11 of the 36 youngsters. I checked the loft just before 7 and had 12 youngsters in, so still 24 missing. 

I was then getting concerned, especially as I knew how bad racing had been today. I was expecting to just get the odd ones back this evening as by this time it was raining and very dull. I was in the kitchen and looked out of the window and saw a batch of pigeons coming out of the West towards me. To my surprise it was all the youngsters coming back together. This was at 7.25, nearly 3 and a half hours after I let them out. 

On getting them in and checking I am just one missing. I’m afraid it’s the little blue Pied of yours George. One of the youngest that went off. Hopefully it will be back tomorrow although the weather doesn’t look good for tomorrow. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Winfort Lofts
(@winfort-lofts)

Ahh thats brilliant!

With how bad the racing has been today, I was convinced you were telling another disaster story!!

Glad to see you have the majority, back home! 

I'm also very glad I changed my mind when debating getting the Missus to let the birds out this afternoon while I'm at work!

Search for Winfort Lofts on Youtube!

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Crikey, that would have you worrying, Andy!

Visions of the the whole lot disappearing. 

Mine seldom go far away, they aren't out of sight for more than a few minutes. The falcons are always on the prowl and the pigeons seem to stay close to home. 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Hope the missing one is there this morning

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

Andy is that the one which went missing last week when i moved on 11 birds one was left behind and by mistake the dam of that yb is from her i think the nestmate to the grizzle  they did handle well will wait and see now 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @george-morgan

Andy is that the one which went missing last week when i moved on 11 birds one was left behind and by mistake the dam of that yb is from her i think the nestmate to the grizzle  they did handle well will wait and see now 

I didn’t have any missing last week George.

The blue pied hasn’t returned today. Yes it is the nestmate to the grizzle. The grizzle was one that didn’t go off. The other 4 of yours did though. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote