Training of youngst...

Notifications
Clear all

Training of youngsters

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I was going to start training this week and was planning on going early tomorrow morning but with the heat I’ve decided to wait. First thing tomorrow, 6am, it’s due to be 20c. If they make a mistake, by mid morning it will be 28c. So as my first race won’t be until 21st August there’s no rush and don’t want another disaster. I am very wary after the early training tosses with the old birds and will be happier when I’ve had a couple of good ones. 

I did handle them all this afternoon and put them in a basket. They all handled well and there are some nice youngsters coming through. Of course I am nearly back at square one so these youngsters are going to be the vast majority of next years old bird team. Some are starting to moult around the head but I want to get them all trained if I can even though some may not get raced. 

I will keep you updated on when I start training. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Very wise, Andy.

If it's going to be hot you only need them to get a fright and you have a problem.

I am always cautious with the first few tosses, because whenever I have become too confident I have come undone. 

Baby steps. Once they have had a few and know the drill, you can push on.

It's good that they have been in the hamper, that's good education.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Good thinking Andy, mine are falling apart not just around the head, but my fault altogether, I kept them in before we went to Wales as not wanting to lose any more then we had the bbq following week so the 2 weeks kept in screwed everything up for me

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
, Posted by: @buster121

Good thinking Andy, mine are falling apart not just around the head, but my fault altogether, I kept them in before we went to Wales as not wanting to lose any more then we had the bbq following week so the 2 weeks kept in screwed everything up for me

I don’t like sending pigeons that are bald around the head and certainly not when their ears are uncovered. I don’t and won’t have mine on the darkness, so some are already up on their 5th flights and these weren’t bred until March. I do find that the later bred ones moult quicker than early bred ones. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

what is the saying ybs bred in May will fly all day 

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @andy123
, Posted by: @buster121

I don’t like sending pigeons that are bald around the head and certainly not when their ears are uncovered. I don’t and won’t have mine on the darkness, so some are already up on their 5th flights and these weren’t bred until March. I do find that the later bred ones moult quicker than early bred ones. 

I have found that out this year as I bred late

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote