Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Just unbelievable

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well the pairing up has gone well so far. 13 of the 16 pairs are out together now, four days since pairing up. Had the odd ones going into wrong box and a couple of cocks that had two boxes trying to keep both, but they sorted themselves out. I like to get them out and settled before any eggs are laid so that I don’t get any fighting and broken eggs. I know some people keep them shut in until the eggs are laid to ensure parentage but I prefer to get them settled. One of the other pairs is fine and have been out but I have a hen from another pair that keeps going into their box, she was in their last year. The other two pairs still shut in are both pairs of yearlings. They just aren’t sure about their boxes. Hopefully will sort themselves out in the next couple of days. 

I decided as it was a nice afternoon and most pairs seemed settled I would let them out for the first time for 3 months. They were keen enough to go out and enjoyed a good fly before coming down and going back in to their boxes.

The unbelievable thing is that they haven’t been out for 3 months, but when I shut them up I had a stray in with them. A yearling hen. WHY. I do seem to get more than my fair share of strays but just can’t believe that the first time I let them out I get another one. 😱

killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Things seem to be going ok for you ,best of luck ,

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

They like you mate, they heard good food and lodgings, on another note glad all going well

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @buster121

They like you mate, they heard good food and lodgings, on another note glad all going well

Yep, the pigeons are, first and foremost, survivors. 

That yearling hen is without a doubt a smart one. 

Treat it kindly. It might be the one you were looking for. Happy  

Glad to hear that they are settling in well.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray the funny thing is that the nearest loft to me is about 4 miles away. So not from a local loft. Judging by the condition of her she hasn’t been out long. Could be someone like me, just letting birds out for the first time and maybe getting spoked by a hawk, or someone starting to train. Although not allowed with current restrictions. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @andy123

Well the pairing up has gone well so far. 13 of the 16 pairs are out together now, four days since pairing up. Had the odd ones going into wrong box and a couple of cocks that had two boxes trying to keep both, but they sorted themselves out. I like to get them out and settled before any eggs are laid so that I don’t get any fighting and broken eggs. I know some people keep them shut in until the eggs are laid to ensure parentage but I prefer to get them settled. One of the other pairs is fine and have been out but I have a hen from another pair that keeps going into their box, she was in their last year. The other two pairs still shut in are both pairs of yearlings. They just aren’t sure about their boxes. Hopefully will sort themselves out in the next couple of days. 

I decided as it was a nice afternoon and most pairs seemed settled I would let them out for the first time for 3 months. They were keen enough to go out and enjoyed a good fly before coming down and going back in to their boxes.

The unbelievable thing is that they haven’t been out for 3 months, but when I shut them up I had a stray in with them. A yearling hen. WHY. I do seem to get more than my fair share of strays but just can’t believe that the first time I let them out I get another one. 😱

Andy when I have a bird going into wrong box I lock them in it with this teddy bear they don't seem to go back in again

P1010828

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@rainbow sounds an idea George. The trouble is the pair that should be in that box are then locked out. How long do you leave them? 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

10 mins

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @rainbow

10 mins

I found they could not get out of the box quick enought

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

A mate of mine once told me he spent 9 months trying to get out of a box & the rest of his life trying to get back into them , lol Nonoise  

ReplyQuote