Channel racing unce...

Notifications
Clear all

Channel racing uncertain  

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
09/11/2020 3:20 pm  

I could have continued this in my post concerning Walkers transporting from the EU but felt it required a different post. 

Things are certainly very much up in the air at present both with Covid19 and Brexit. There has been suggestions that it could take between 7 & 10 days to get a liberation from France after Brexit with issues over lorry’s being held up and possible quarantine. 

I don’t know what the Nationals and Classics will do but it could result in them going North. For us down here not a real problem but will certainly be different. 

My aim would still be the same in as much as going for the distance races. Thurso for me would be around 522 miles and Lerwick 630 miles. Not the 700 of Barcelona though and probably not the number of distance races. 

Although all the races as far as Thurso are really inland races the stretch of water between Lerwick and the mainland is a lot wider than the channel, even at the shortest point it’s around 100 miles of North Sea. The other thing is that most weeks during the summer they would be flying into a head wind.

Anyway all is unknown at present and we will have to wait and see what the outcome is. 

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
09/11/2020 7:29 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

I could have continued this in my post concerning Walkers transporting from the EU but felt it required a different post. 

Things are certainly very much up in the air at present both with Covid19 and Brexit. There has been suggestions that it could take between 7 & 10 days to get a liberation from France after Brexit with issues over lorry’s being held up and possible quarantine. 

I don’t know what the Nationals and Classics will do but it could result in them going North. For us down here not a real problem but will certainly be different. 

My aim would still be the same in as much as going for the distance races. Thurso for me would be around 522 miles and Lerwick 630 miles. Not the 700 of Barcelona though and probably not the number of distance races. 

Although all the races as far as Thurso are really inland races the stretch of water between Lerwick and the mainland is a lot wider than the channel, even at the shortest point it’s around 100 miles of North Sea. The other thing is that most weeks during the summer they would be flying into a head wind.

Anyway all is unknown at present and we will have to wait and see what the outcome is. 

I think there is a lot of scare mongering going on still and too much uncertainty, I personally can't see that too much will change as it won't be in anyone's interests to make haulage abroad difficult. Having said that for me personally I would be quite happy if we were forced to go North, as you know Andy I have always preferred North Road and as a club and federation we might actually get some decent distance racing in, not sure the widowhood fliers in our fed will agree though. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
09/11/2020 7:57 pm  
Posted by: @trench

I think there is a lot of scare mongering going on still and too much uncertainty, I personally can't see that too much will change as it won't be in anyone's interests to make haulage abroad difficult. Having said that for me personally I would be quite happy if we were forced to go North, as you know Andy I have always preferred North Road and as a club and federation we might actually get some decent distance racing in, not sure the widowhood fliers in our fed will agree though. 

There trouble is Trev I doubt your fed would go North. They aren’t interested in channel racing and those that are will be in the NFC and BICC anyway. Most of your fed members appear to be sprint fanciers that will still be happy going along the coast every week. 

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Estimable Member Registered
09/11/2020 9:02 pm  

Never understood why northroad racing declined so much...from where i am standing its far.far cheaper.....and lerwick is the big test alright much harder than your pau.agen  stuff.....only problem you will have is all the big boys down south always put in propersitionsin the nat clubs to suit themselves...its shameful really,same old faces .trying to get more advantages than they already have.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
09/11/2020 10:01 pm  

I think North Road racing down to the South is harder than South Road. I raced for 14 years on the North Road and we always said that South Road racing was Butterfly racing lol. We as the Worthing club turned North Road from South Road in 1980. For the first couple of years it was very hard and a lot of members were virtually wiped out. The South Road pigeons found it hard flying into a head wind most weeks. It was a different type of pigeon that was needed to fly North. These North Road pigeons could be turned South no problem. I know we’ve mentioned it before but Jed Jackson in our club won the Pau National with a North Road pigeon that had flown Berwick 350 miles North a couple of weeks before the Pau National. I also turned 3 widowhood cocks that were coming well on the North Road for an open race from Guernsey. This was the first time they had gone South and first time over the channel. Hadn’t even been trained South. I was 2nd & 3rd Open and got all 3. 

In the 14 years I raced North Road I don’t think that there was one year when Thurso, which was 550 miles, was won on the day. Often there were only a handful of birds back in race time. I did get birds a few times from Thurso and also won Lerwick 650 miles. We did have some disastrous races though over the years. I remember winning a Warwick young bird race, 108 miles, by over an hour with only 3 birds back in the club on the day from probably back then around 300. 

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Estimable Member Registered
09/11/2020 10:48 pm  

I think North Road racing down to the South is harder than South Road. I raced for 14 years on the North Road and we always said that South Road racing was Butterfly racing lol. We as the Worthing club turned North Road from South Road in 1980. For the first couple of years it was very hard and a lot of members were virtually wiped out. The South Road pigeons found it hard flying into a head wind most weeks. It was a different type of pigeon that was needed to fly North. These North Road pigeons could be turned South no problem. I know we’ve mentioned it before but Jed Jackson in our club won the Pau National with a North Road pigeon that had flown Berwick 350 miles North a couple of weeks before the Pau National. I also turned 3 widowhood cocks that were coming well on the North Road for an open race from Guernsey. This was the first time they had gone South and first time over the channel. Hadn’t even been trained South. I was 2nd & 3rd Open and got all 3. 

In the 14 years I raced North Road I don’t think that there was one year when Thurso, which was 550 miles, was won on the day. Often there were only a handful of birds back in race time. I did get birds a few times from Thurso and also won Lerwick 650 miles. We did have some disastrous races though over the years. I remember winning a Warwick young bird race, 108 miles, by over an hour with only 3 birds back in the club on the day from probably back then around 300. 

I think you are spot on Andy, once you get a decent team together flying Agen, Pau,tarbes,san sebastion ect never was a problem...mind you we have not flown for a few years now..so things could have changed?

It was mostly all northroad here years back...we were only intrested in the 3 scotch races PERTH350m...frazerburgh434)miles...and Thurso 493miles....lerwick was a specilist race flying down the Langton Court pub in the mighty SOUTH WEST of ENGLAND LERWICK CLUB only for the cream ...

Even thou back in those days before darkness become flavour of the month we always sent to the last youngbird race of the season..Berwick  bang on 300 miles tried to pick out best feathered  and always clocked them,reson was after the 1st couple of club "sweep" sunday morning races and then 1st coupleof races with the huge West of england north road combine most of the crap was already gone......great days...magical days wish we could do it all again...all those lovely people....even my mrs used to come up on the basketing putting trhe birds through, we were only kids then lol....

If we ever do get back racing ,i would have to try a team north ..up to lerwick....even if we get a proper kicking

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
10/11/2020 6:24 pm  
Posted by: @trench

There trouble is Trev I doubt your fed would go North. They aren’t interested in channel racing and those that are will be in the NFC and BICC anyway. Most of your fed members appear to be sprint fanciers that will still be happy going along the coast every week. 

I think you are probably right Andy, I think most of the fed members would be happy to stay at around 100 miles every week. I will be hopefully be joining the BBC next year as long other club members do, otherwise I won't be able to get the birds to Marking. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
10/11/2020 7:02 pm  
Posted by: @grizzlecock

Never understood why northroad racing declined so much...from where i am standing its far.far cheaper.....and lerwick is the big test alright much harder than your pau.agen  stuff.....only problem you will have is all the big boys down south always put in propersitionsin the nat clubs to suit themselves...its shameful really,same old faces .trying to get more advantages than they already have.

I would go North again in an instant given half a chance, most of my racing has been North Road as Worthing had already turned North before I had my own team. I had 1 season South road while I was on the Isle of Wight before I joined the Medina North Road club. Since starting up again three years ago although we are now flying South road I have still only been across the channel 3 times as the channel races just aren't supported well enough by fed members. 

I used to really enjoy our North road programme, starting at 95miles and going up to 552miles. From most of the shorter races the birds were liberated with the aim of getting the birds home around lunchtime as many members worked Saturday mornings. A lot of us in the Worthing club were also in the NRCC and I did win the section from Perth (404miles) one year with an A&T Deacon Southwell cock. I also won Thurso on 3 occasions and did get the Southwell Cock from Lerwick albeit just outside race time. Many members were also still in the NFC or the BICC and had some very good results, as well as Jed Jackson Des Coulter also flew with Worthing winning races over 500miles from both directions including winning the NRCC from Lerwick with two birds on the day. 

As Andy said it was hard to get day birds once the distance went over 400miles as the wind was usually against them, there were the very odd occasions when we got a tail wind and members got caught out. We did get some real stinkers over the years but always seemed to get a few birds home before the race ended, we would often get birds reported over on the continent and quite often found on oil rigs in the North sea. I can only remember one race that was a complete smash with no birds home in the race time, this was from Elgin which was just under 500miles to me. The birds were apparently released with a wall of fog only a few miles from the liberation site and they reckon many of the birds never left Elgin, I lost 2 of my Thurso winners (one of which had flown it 3 times), I did eventually get one bird turn up home and that was the Southwell Cock. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
12/11/2020 6:20 am  

This is what I posted about earlier

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
12/11/2020 8:04 am  
Posted by: @buster121

This is what I posted about earlier

I know mate. Don’t know yet what’s going to happen.

The BICC certainly don’t think things will be any different. They have announced that they are having 3 new awards for 2021. These are for ace pigeons. Won on a coefficient. Ace National pigeon competing in 3 National races. Ace International pigeon competing in 2 internationals and Ace young bird competing in both young bird Nationals. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered
14/11/2020 9:35 pm  

Let’s hope by racing season things have sorted them selfs out ,but must agree to many sprint flyers now ,seems God isnt giving out hearts any more lol Eat  

ReplyQuote