community

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

BICC Liberations  

Page 2 / 2
 

jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
Joined: 6 months ago
Posts: 156
16/12/2019 9:02 am  

I say if there’s a chance of a better outcome for the birds it’s a must I missed sending with them this year as early races weather forecast too harsh for the distance I fly 340mile first race 24th April and was forecast east wind
but this year hoping to have a go at them again weather permitting and nice to see them forward thinking

A better outcome for who though John !!! If the forecast is bad for the Saturday so they go Friday lunchtime it might well be better for the shorter fliers but not for those who's birds can't make it home by night fall, will they want to get up again in the morning if its blowing a gale with heavy rain !! Don't get me wrong we all want our birds given a fighting to chance to get home but in my opinion they should still just hold them over.

Im not just talking about bicc here all of the nationals have the same issue
As I said it’s the welfare of the pigeons and the best outcome for them also it has to be looked at for the longer flyers which I imagine I am one of but ide much rather birds had a good crossing and fair chance up the country in good weather by releasing a day earlier than holding till following week
Realistically were only talking about a day or so because what’s the difference if released Friday if the weathers bad and released Monday it’s the same issue of people working I’m lucky that I’m self employed and always local

But those channel pigeons don’t come easy and confidence is lost in clubs by poor liberations
Personally I don’t send them if I think its not fit to lib as small channel teams can be decimated very easily that took years to build


ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
Member
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 9616
16/12/2019 7:22 pm  

I say if there’s a chance of a better outcome for the birds it’s a must I missed sending with them this year as early races weather forecast too harsh for the distance I fly 340mile first race 24th April and was forecast east wind
but this year hoping to have a go at them again weather permitting and nice to see them forward thinking

A better outcome for who though John !!! If the forecast is bad for the Saturday so they go Friday lunchtime it might well be better for the shorter fliers but not for those who's birds can't make it home by night fall, will they want to get up again in the morning if its blowing a gale with heavy rain !! Don't get me wrong we all want our birds given a fighting to chance to get home but in my opinion they should still just hold them over.

Im not just talking about bicc here all of the nationals have the same issue
As I said it’s the welfare of the pigeons and the best outcome for them also it has to be looked at for the longer flyers which I imagine I am one of but ide much rather birds had a good crossing and fair chance up the country in good weather by releasing a day earlier than holding till following week
Realistically were only talking about a day or so because what’s the difference if released Friday if the weathers bad and released Monday it’s the same issue of people working I’m lucky that I’m self employed and always local

But those channel pigeons don’t come easy and confidence is lost in clubs by poor liberations
Personally I don’t send them if I think its not fit to lib as small channel teams can be decimated very easily that took years to build

I do agree with you John, getting them safely across the channel should be the priority.
I also agree with your point of holdovers into the following week and as you say the smaller lofts could easily be finished after just one bad race. I do however think it's down to the individual organisations to look at long term forecasts and if there is likely to be bad weather for several days then maybe they should look at canceling the race but they do need to consider every single fancier. I appreciate that this could cause major logistical headaches as most of these organisations take the money in advance of basketing.


ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2