A third one back to...

Notifications
Clear all

A third one back today

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Almost unbelievable, six weeks after the really bad trainer I’ve now had 3 back in 4 days. This morning the 3 year old cock 06200 from Pete retuned. His feet were filthy. I thought it could have been river sand but was hit by a very familiar smell to me after years of farming. They stunk of slurry 😂. He has obviously been roughing it on a farm somewhere. He is fine in himself and has already taken his old box back over and attracted one of the spare hens. 

What to do with this cock now? As a youngster in 2018 he went to the young bird Coutances race 145 miles with the CSCFC. This race was on 25th August. He returned the following spring 14th May. He wasn’t raced as a yearling as he had obviously out wintered and his feathers were a mess. So was left to moult through. Last year he went to Falaise 178 miles with the BICC. He was our 6th bird to loft from 21 taking 251st section 533rd Open. He then was sent to St Philbert-Du-Peuple 274 miles but was 25 days late. So not very reliable. BUT, he obviously knows how to look after himself and has the determination to get home. Maybe he is the sort of pigeon we need for Barcelona or Lerwick depending on direction? He is certainly the sort of pigeon that is likely to turn up at some point. I also haven’t bred from him yet so has he got something of a survival instinct needed for the extreme distance? He is a character in the loft.

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

It's good to see another one back.

That pigeon is a survivor alright!

Trouble is, he has learned how to stop, which is near impossible to fix. I would not send him to races with a hard day or days predicted. He probably wouldn't show up. 

I would be looking to get him in a good nest position and full of himself and send him a long tailwind race. He might just pop up!

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @murray

Trouble is, he has learned how to stop, which is near impossible to fix. I would not send him to races with a hard day or days predicted. He probably wouldn't show up. 

I would be looking to get him in a good nest position and full of himself and send him a long tailwind race. He might just pop up!

Makes sense to me does that

glad another one back

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @buster121
Posted by: @murray

Makes sense to me does that

glad another one back

I still think like a jockey! I can't help it.

If they have ability but are not getting a result, you need to change things. 

That's why they are the pigeons and I am the boss. I am supposed to be smarter than them. 

ReplyQuote
Petedav
(@petedav)

Glad to see there still trying to get back home, and what Murray says makes a lot of sense to me, if racing back to a hen on eggs he could just surprise us.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @petedav

Glad to see there still trying to get back home, and what Murray says makes a lot of sense to me, if racing back to a hen on eggs he could just surprise us.

He has been being raced on natural. Maybe he would do better on widowhood. 

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @andy123

Almost unbelievable, six weeks after the really bad trainer I’ve now had 3 back in 4 days. This morning the 3 year old cock 06200 from Pete retuned. His feet were filthy. I thought it could have been river sand but was hit by a very familiar smell to me after years of farming. They stunk of slurry 😂. He has obviously been roughing it on a farm somewhere. He is fine in himself and has already taken his old box back over and attracted one of the spare hens. 

What to do with this cock now? As a youngster in 2018 he went to the young bird Coutances race 145 miles with the CSCFC. This race was on 25th August. He returned the following spring 14th May. He wasn’t raced as a yearling as he had obviously out wintered and his feathers were a mess. So was left to moult through. Last year he went to Falaise 178 miles with the BICC. He was our 6th bird to loft from 21 taking 251st section 533rd Open. He then was sent to St Philbert-Du-Peuple 274 miles but was 25 days late. So not very reliable. BUT, he obviously knows how to look after himself and has the determination to get home. Maybe he is the sort of pigeon we need for Barcelona or Lerwick depending on direction? He is certainly the sort of pigeon that is likely to turn up at some point. I also haven’t bred from him yet so has he got something of a survival instinct needed for the extreme distance? He is a character in the loft.

hi Andy,that bird is 3 years old...hes been unreliable but no one really knows why...he can look after himself now and if he can get himself right over the next few weeks a short 30 mile trainer and if he comes ok i would send him anywhere barcelona .lerwick...he has to go....he could suprise us all.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@grizzlecock I was thinking along the same sort of lines. I have noticed he seems to have a slight limp. Doesn’t feel like the leg has been broken but could have hit something.

As the treatments of antibiotics doesn’t seem to have made any difference I’m even more of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with their health and the bad trainer was more down to a BOP attack. With 2 of the 3 back showing signs of damage I think the batch was hammered by hawks and fled in all directions and possibly hitting into anything in front of them. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @andy123

@grizzlecock I was thinking along the same sort of lines. I have noticed he seems to have a slight limp. Doesn’t feel like the leg has been broken but could have hit something.

As the treatments of antibiotics doesn’t seem to have made any difference I’m even more of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with their health and the bad trainer was more down to a BOP attack. With 2 of the 3 back showing signs of damage I think the batch was hammered by hawks and fled in all directions and possibly hitting into anything in front of them. 

Very possibly, Andy. 

It was a disaster which certainly wasn't your fault. 

ReplyQuote