Advice on not getting wiped out

Need any help or advice post it here.
devo56

Re: Advice on not getting wiped out

Post by devo56 » November 7th, 2016, 4:00 pm

The sad thing about the sport is, we dont know what our birds have to challenge on their way home, from a training toss or a race. The last bird back is as good as the first bird back, The important thing is keep notes, you last back this time may be first back next week, because it had a clear way. If your birds are fit a well, send them they need to earn that perch in the loft, and move forward in there development.

doolough

Post by doolough » November 7th, 2016, 5:06 pm

isaacs wrote:Might seem a stupid question guys.
As you know im just starting out and will only have 24 ybs to start 2017 off.
I don't think its wise for me to send all my birds out for training or race as if something bad happens a crash or something I'll be wiped out.
Regarding training and racing my small fleet of 24 birds how many would you recommend I send out at a time?. I'm thinking maybe have two teams of 12 but then they will only be racing every other week so may this hinder there racing ability both fitness and learning.
In future I will hope to have a few worthy to be stock birds to permanently keep back in a aviary but as I'm starting I don't have stock birds yet.
First thing i'd ask is where are you and what sort of losses are the lads around you having? The reason i ask this is now some lads are getting absolutely hammered, mainly to do with the BOPs. Even when mildly affected then it can turn a normal run of the mill trainer/race into an outright disaster! If you live and race in an area badly affected then do what some have said on here, race away every week, keeping banging them in to get hammered and tell us how you packing up next year cos you got no birds left!

I used to live in an area rarely affected by falcons but even then most years in what 3 or 4 races and finished for the ybs. It never stopped my birds winning the early races the following year and topping fed etc.

Find out the area, how good/bad it is then make a plan. Nothing wrong with splitting a team in half as long as races don't jump too quick mileage wise. Like they say never put all you're eggs in one basket and don't believe that in this day and age the ybs you lose are rubbish and the ones left are all good. Luck can play a huge part, i call my survivors the lucky ones, not the good ones, cos i have lost some real good birds and i know how.

trench

Post by trench » November 7th, 2016, 7:58 pm

I agree with you all that all youngsters need to be raced, real smashes are rare and even then good birds will find a way home. However as its your first season and you may not fully understand how to determine fitness I would split into 2 teams. Depending on how early you are going to have your youngsters don't train or race until they have dropped their third flight. Any that show promise after several races I would stop, everything else push on to the longest race. But remember a good youngster won't necessarily make a good old bird, youngsters are a law unto themselves. It is however a good place to start, as Chris says it's what makes this sport unique. Good luck an enjoy.

TBone96

Post by TBone96 » November 7th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Some really good info their lads it's good to pick up different ideas and how other people work their birds and loft.

isaacs

Post by isaacs » November 7th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Good sound advice, thanks

DJLOFTS

Post by DJLOFTS » November 8th, 2016, 5:54 am

look at your raceing program like us we go to the 1st race point x2 2nd point x2 if yours is like that we split them cocks and hens hens go 1st week cocks 2nd week hens 3rd week cocks 4th week then they all go to 5th - 9th week if you are going to lose them theres nothink you can do about it as ybs if they get sumthink in to there heads like droping in to a loft are staying out at night on race i think they loss the homeing instinct ( not all but most do) then thats them dun unless its a 2 are 3 day race but ybs you are going to loss some theres nothink you can do it can be your 1st pigeon the 1st 6 races and loss it on the 7th race its the way yb raceing is this year we lost are 3 of are best ybs in are 1st 10 6x in 6 races lost one the 7 race 2 the 8th race p.s most yb loss is off dehydration when they come out the basket and dont brake they just fly around and around and then thye can not fined warter are they drop in a lake are they drink oil are get stuck and die

isaacs

Post by isaacs » November 9th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Good feedback, I will take every single advice on board

sonofaseadog

Post by sonofaseadog » January 9th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Let's say you have glorious sunshine one week and bad weather the next..then a repeat weather wise the following fortnight..your young bird team that coincides with bad weather may be facing a 120 jump..send em all every week if fit and weather good and after they've done 120 they will be harder to loose..then u could stop one or two that have caught yer eye..

Return to “Help & Advice”