Starving?

Need any help or advice post it here.
tommydamic1968

Starving?

Post by tommydamic1968 » September 3rd, 2016, 1:21 pm

Hello all,

My pigeons act like they are starving recently. Never behaved this way before, when I go to feed them they run to eat like vultures, like its their last meal, they are molting, would that make them act this way? It has got a bit cooler out as well. Same amount of feed - 1 ounce per bird.

PVDMR

Re: Starving?

Post by PVDMR » September 3rd, 2016, 1:42 pm

Are you on a moulting mix?
Feed the same but Add Barley,when they leave the barley,take it away!!
+ Vitamins,pick stones etc

Atb

buster121

Post by buster121 » September 3rd, 2016, 2:39 pm

Birds always eat more when cooler, I would be looking at 11/2 ounces per bird, 1 is too little in my opinion and in winter increase slightly

rainbow

Post by rainbow » September 3rd, 2016, 4:07 pm

my birds don't fly out so this is my feeding they get the same mixture all year and as much as they want reason pigeons don't like change so I change nothing if I were to race it would be the same for me handle the birds as much as you can and run your finger along the keel this will tell you a lot about the bird but all fanciers are different

buster121

Post by buster121 » September 3rd, 2016, 6:58 pm

rainbow wrote:my birds don't fly out so this is my feeding they get the same mixture all year and as much as they want reason pigeons don't like change so I change nothing if I were to race it would be the same for me handle the birds as much as you can and run your finger along the keel this will tell you a lot about the bird but all fanciers are different
Rainbow, what mix do you give

sonofaseadog

Post by sonofaseadog » January 17th, 2017, 8:18 pm

The birds are behaving in that way because of the cold snap..as it gets milder they will stop the charging about wings outstretched like a hungry youngster...

trench

Post by trench » January 17th, 2017, 8:28 pm

sonofaseadog wrote:
January 17th, 2017, 8:18 pm
The birds are behaving in that way because of the cold snap..as it gets milder they will stop the charging about wings outstretched like a hungry youngster...
As Rainbow said, handle the birds you will soon feel if you have the feeding about right. If they feel good and are flying well I wouldn't worry too much, I would want my birds to be that keen at feeding time especially when it comes to racing. If you are breeding and they are moulting, as Stu says get some barley in the mix and give them as much as they will eat. Atb

trench

Post by trench » January 17th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Also if they feel a little light and you haven't already I would consider worming them !!

Return to “Help & Advice”