Next seasons goals

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
isaacs

Re: Next seasons goals

Post by isaacs » December 7th, 2017, 9:11 pm

trench wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm
isaacs wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm
Good thread Andy its interesting to see what goals other members are aiming for next year.

My goals :-
Next year will only be my 2nd season and my ybs did me very proud last year, but now as they are near on yearlings i will be testing them with bigger challenges with races up to 376 miles and across the water.

My aim this year is to continue developing a team that can become a reliable basis of my loft for the future.
The ones that do make it through this year will have done well and proven themselves.... I hope some do make it through!.

Regarding prizes I got club cards in every YB race I entered last year 2nds and 3rds, but i didn't get a 1st!, so will be nice to get a 1st club at some point this year.
In years to come my goals and aims will higher but I prefer to take things a step at a time with continued steady improvements year on year.
Eventually In years to come i will want to send to classics, nationals and bicc races etc, but I am where I am at the moment....a self confessed newbie :D

Good luck to everyone I hope we achieve our goals and please everyone good or bad keep us all updated you know I will :D
ATB
You are spot on Isaacs, set yourself goals but be patient it's a slow process but remember it should be an enjoyable one. You have a good team of yearlings that do need testing but don't take unnecessary risks to get that 1st. Hopefully you will get that first but you are in it for the long hall so no rush. Keep building that team and experience and you will get there. My advice for what it's worth is if you get a bird that shows real promise don't throw it away chasing glory, use it to build for the future.
Good luck mate.
CDBL wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 7:53 pm
Thanks chaps. Best of luck to all on the forum in their exploits next year. All here to share the joys of the sport!

Isaacs! That sounds like a plan mate. Sometimes trying to run ahead is my downfall.
Thankyou both
And trench thanks for advice mate I do already share you're thoughts exactly on this regarding chasing a 1st win.

Last year the chaps at my club said I was looking on course to get a 1st as consistently up there at club whilst all other members were quickly getting wiped out yet i had only few losses.

I got up to furthest YB distance midway through the YB season after 5 races and then i just stopped racing them because of the moult and the fact i felt they had enough experiance with 5 races and had gone to the furthest race point and anything more was not going to help the birds much more.

The chaps at club said I was silly and should keep sending as my birds looked likely to soon get win and the novice cup/trophy.
But I didn't chase the win or the novice cup and put birds first not taking a chance.

My long term goals are more important then short term win.
Although in Hines sight now that i do know a bit more about the pigeon moult i probably should of sent for a few more races and that decision probably could of cost me a big fat cup :(
If in doubt I air on safety mate.

Me and you trench do seem to view things a similar way. I notice this quite a bit on our posts.

trench

Post by trench » December 7th, 2017, 9:27 pm

isaacs wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 9:11 pm
trench wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm
isaacs wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm
Good thread Andy its interesting to see what goals other members are aiming for next year.

My goals :-
Next year will only be my 2nd season and my ybs did me very proud last year, but now as they are near on yearlings i will be testing them with bigger challenges with races up to 376 miles and across the water.

My aim this year is to continue developing a team that can become a reliable basis of my loft for the future.
The ones that do make it through this year will have done well and proven themselves.... I hope some do make it through!.

Regarding prizes I got club cards in every YB race I entered last year 2nds and 3rds, but i didn't get a 1st!, so will be nice to get a 1st club at some point this year.
In years to come my goals and aims will higher but I prefer to take things a step at a time with continued steady improvements year on year.
Eventually In years to come i will want to send to classics, nationals and bicc races etc, but I am where I am at the moment....a self confessed newbie :D

Good luck to everyone I hope we achieve our goals and please everyone good or bad keep us all updated you know I will :D
ATB
You are spot on Isaacs, set yourself goals but be patient it's a slow process but remember it should be an enjoyable one. You have a good team of yearlings that do need testing but don't take unnecessary risks to get that 1st. Hopefully you will get that first but you are in it for the long hall so no rush. Keep building that team and experience and you will get there. My advice for what it's worth is if you get a bird that shows real promise don't throw it away chasing glory, use it to build for the future.
Good luck mate.
CDBL wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 7:53 pm
Thanks chaps. Best of luck to all on the forum in their exploits next year. All here to share the joys of the sport!

Isaacs! That sounds like a plan mate. Sometimes trying to run ahead is my downfall.
Thankyou both
And trench thanks for advice mate I do already share you're thoughts exactly on this regarding chasing a 1st win.

Last year the chaps at my club said I was looking on course to get a 1st as consistently up there at club whilst all other members were quickly getting wiped out yet i had only few losses.

I got up to furthest YB distance midway through the YB season after 5 races and then i just stopped racing them because of the moult and the fact i felt they had enough experiance with 5 races and had gone to the furthest race point and anything more was not going to help the birds much more.

The chaps at club said I was silly and should keep sending as my birds looked likely to soon get win and the novice cup/trophy.
But I didn't chase the win or the novice cup and put birds first not taking a chance.

My long term goals are more important then short term win.
Although in Hines sight now that i do know a bit more about the pigeon moult i probably should of sent for a few more races and that decision probably could of cost me a big fat cup :(
If in doubt I air on safety mate.
Me and you trench do seem to view things a similar way. I notice this quite a bit on our posts.
It's a pleasure to help where we can, we all learn't the same way. Yes I agree you may well have stopped a little too soon last year, you can't dwell on that and you still have the birds for this year. I have seen far too many fanciers lose good pigeons (including myself) chasing glory. We had a fancier at Worthing when I first started out who would never send to the first race as that way he would be out of the averages so he could never be tempted to push birds on chasing them.

Andy123

Post by Andy123 » December 7th, 2017, 9:46 pm

You’ve made a good start isaacs, just keep doing what you’re doing. It took me four years to get my first winner. It will come at some point the way you are going. Atb for next season Shane.

Starter46

Post by Starter46 » December 7th, 2017, 10:08 pm

My goal for next year is to get my loft up and get some honest ybs probably latebreads I won't be racing next year but if I can get setup and prepare for 2019 that's my goal

isaacs

Post by isaacs » December 7th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Andy123 wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 9:46 pm
You’ve made a good start isaacs, just keep doing what you’re doing. It took me four years to get my first winner. It will come at some point the way you are going. Atb for next season Shane.
Thanks Andy and atb with your season next year

rainbow

Post by rainbow » December 7th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Starter46 wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 10:08 pm
My goal for next year is to get my loft up and get some honest ybs probably latebreads I won't be racing next year but if I can get setup and prepare for 2019 that's my goal
may have some latebreds if you wish you won't offend me if you don't want them

isaacs

Post by isaacs » December 7th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Starter46 wrote:
Good luck mate, why late breds though?.

When I started i Bought a dozen or so old birds from various different racing men some local and some further afield and then just bred my own ybs.
Although I have kept other types of birds so knew some basics of breeding before getting into pigeons so made it easier.

It is nice to just buy ybs in and easier, but I do prefer breeding my own, great satisfaction from it mate.

PS good offer George very kind

CDBL

Post by CDBL » December 7th, 2017, 10:42 pm

isaacs wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 10:35 pm
Starter46 wrote:
Good luck mate, why late breds though?.

When I started i Bought a dozen or so old birds from various different racing men some local and some further afield and then just bred my own ybs.
Although I have kept other types of birds so knew some basics of breeding before getting into pigeons so made it easier.

It is nice to just buy ybs in and easier, but I do prefer breeding my own, great satisfaction from it mate.

PS good offer George very kind
Agree with Isaacs. Generous offer from George or young birds and keep the performers from young bird racing.

Starter46

Post by Starter46 » December 7th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Thanks for the offer rainbow that would be great cheers . I prob will get some old birds as well My aim is for 2019 , I say latebreads as I don't no if my loft will be finished in time hopefully I can have it done by April just been so busy in work and the weather does not help but will see how it goes

devo56

Post by devo56 » December 8th, 2017, 12:09 am

Starter46 wrote:
Your only over the water Mark, if you need some birds to get you started mate that is not a problem. just let me know what you need, you could make a visit at any time mate.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”